Thursday, July 29, 2010

Philadelphia Flyers' Claude Giroux

"Giroux started his career (junior) by signing with the Gatineau Olympiques as a free agent after playing in the Central Jr. A League. During his rookie season, he scored 39 goals for a total of 103 points in only 69 games. He then entered the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, where the Philadlphia Flyers selected him 22nd overall.

Giroux made his NHL debut when the Flyers visited the Ottawa Senators on February 19, 2008, when he was called-up for a total of two games for the injury ridden Flyers.

Finishing his tenure in Gatineau, he helped the club win the QMJHL Playoffs and earned himself the Guy Lafleur Trophy as MVP in the QMJHL Playoffs by scoring 17 goals and 34 assists in 19 playoff games, also setting a franchise record.

The Flyers were an inconsistent team for the bulk of the 2009-10 season, however, the Flyers' fortunes turned dramatically after they entered the playoffs, on Giroux's game-winner in the shootout, going five-hole on Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers. Giroux was a major point producer in the first round of the playoffs, dismantling of the second seeded New Jersey Devils. The Flyers made an historic comeback from 3 games to 0 down against the Boston Bruins to win the next four and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they dominated the Montreal Canadiens. Claude scored the winning goal in overtime vs. the Chicago Blackhawks in game 3 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals, but despite his continued production, the Flyers eventually lost in overtime in Game 6 of the finals. Giroux ended up with 21 points, cementing his reputation as an outstanding young talent." (wikipedia)

For those of you who know me, you know how big of a Flyers fan I am. I even travelled to the Philadelphia Flyers Charity Carnival last year to take in a game and meet some of the team. Claude Giroux, unfortunately, was one of the players that I missed.

I knew he was living in the Ottawa area and I was sure that it was just a matter of time before I found out he would be somewhere. Sure enough, I heard on the radio that Claude was doing a signing at Lacroix Source for Sports in Orleans.

I headed there after work and there was a bit of a line already formed. I was waiting for around 20 minutes before I was able to grab a photo and autograph.

It was worth the wait. I was really happy to meet one of my team's young stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment