Saturday, July 10, 2010

2010 Olympic Gold Medalist: Drew Doughty

I have never actually met Drew Doughty. Why am I making this blog entry? Because Drew Doughty is the first piece of a team photo that I am trying to get signed.

Drew Doughty, now of the L.A. Kings, was taken second overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Following a standout career with the Guelph Storm, where he twice voted the league's top offensive defenceman, he made his NHL debut in 2008 as an 18-year-old and was named to the All-Rookie Team.
He has represented Canada four times internationally, winning a gold medal at the 2008 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, where he was named the tournament's top defenceman, and a silver at the 2009 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships. The youngest player on the team, he won a gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics and was named a finalist for the Norris Trophy as the top defenceman in the NHL in 2010.

On June 12th, 2010, the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League held their 20th anniversary alumni game. I had found out about the game through a post online and decided to do some more research. The lineup looked decent with NHL players Ryan Callahan, Todd Bertuzzi, Kevin Dallman, Craig Anderson, Manny Malholtra and Drew Doughty. Tickets were super cheap....only $12 each, and for charity. I swiped up four tickets, two of which my sister wanted for her and her boyfriend.

As the day of the game approached, I realized that I still didn't have anyone to go to the game with. I didn't really want to drive to Guelph alone for the game, so I gave my 16x20 of Team Canada to my sister to get signed.

She came through and the photo has been started.

Running count: 1 autograph
Drew Doughty

No comments:

Post a Comment