Monday, June 7, 2010

UFC 114: Thursday

So much happened at UFC 114 and the fan expo that I decided to make it into three parts. I will try and give a day by day account of the things that happened and the people that I met while in Vegas.

This was my second trip to Vegas, with the first time being last July for the historic UFC 100 and first ever UFC fan expo. On thursday morning, the UFC was holding open workouts for some of the fighters that were going to be fighting on the weekend. Jordan and I decided this could be a good chance to try and meet some of the fighters that wouldn't be at the fan expo. We got to the open workouts at around 10:45 am to wait in line as the open workouts were to begin at 11:30am. When we arrived I was surprised to see only a few people in line ahead of me. I guess the workouts weren't promoted very well.

Rampage was scheduled to be the first fighter training followed by his Wolfslair teammate, and my favourite fighter, Michael "the count" Bisping. I was glad to see these two fight, however I was a bit disappointed that this might be my only chance to meet the two all weekend as they wouldn't be at the fan expo.

Slowly the time started passing and Rampage still hadn't shown up. Finally around noon he showed up with Bisping. There was only around 100 people waiting to watch. I couldn't believe it. Both fighters took turns punching bags and practicing kicks. I was really impressed with Rampage's power and with how well rounded Bisping looked. After the two were done working out, Rampage came around and high-fived everyone standing at the barriers. Now, I had briefly met Rampage at the fan expo last year, and it was my belief that he was a complete jerk. He might have been having a bad day, but I know that he doesn't like all the attention he gets as a fighter.

I told Jordan that we could probably give up our spot at the barrier and head outside to try and get and autograph and a picture. We headed outside the hall and I was able to snag an autograph of a belt-shot, and a good photo with.

Rampage seemed like he wanted to meet fans, but also that he wanted to get out of there. He would take pictures with people and slowly walk towards the stairs to leave. When I went to put my arm on his shoulder to grab a photo he said "whoa, we ain't prom dates". It was histarical.

We then headed back inside and saw Bisping signing autographs and taking pictures with people. The best line I heard jokingly from him was something along the lines of "there is no way that all of you are fans of mine because I never hear any cheers when I fight". Again I was able to snag a picture and autograph from him. He loved the picture I had.

Because of the delay in training, we had missed a chance to meet Dan Miller. I was kinda bummed because I had never met him, but then again, it was Dan Miller. He isn't really a huge name.

We went back into the event and were able to watch Rashad Evans train for a bit. He was practicing his wrestling with Strikeforce light-heavyweight champ, "King" Mo Lawal. When people started asked King Mo for a picture after he was done training, he seemed surprised and responded "I'm not in the UFC you know". He was a cool guy.

We were then able to grab a photo with Rashad. He spent a long time meeting with fans and taking pictures and signing autographs for them. He stood around for almost an hour or so after his training was done.

Minotauro Rogerio Nogueira was scheduled to train soon. This is where the star power showed up. His Black House teammates showed up to watch him train and the names were big. Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Jose Aldo, and Junior Dos Santos were all there to support Little Nog. Through some work, I was able to grab an autograph from Anderson Silva before he entered the training area. He signed my photo and I said "thank you so much". He responded "you're welcome" with no accent at all like he was perfectly fluent in english. It really surprised me.
Jose Aldo was a great guy and was happy to sign and take photos.


Machida was being rushed by his managers, so I wasn't able to meet him before. After the training had started, I got a photo with Efrain Escudero, winner of season 8 of the Ultimate Fighter, who was just finishing up his workout.

After Little Nog was done training, members of Team Black House started to leave. I was able to grab a photo with Lyoto Machida and a quick autograph that I gave away.

I then grabbed a photo and autograph from Junior Dos Santos.

Finally, Little Nog came out and I grabbed a photo and autograph from him.

I thought that was all, but Anderson Silva was still inside making the rounds talking with everyone similar to the way Rashad Evans had done. I guess that when your fights are starting to get booed you need to do some PR work. I grabbed a photo with him.

Along the course of the day a few fighters had walked by that I grabbed quick photos from. Todd Duffee came by. Too bad he got knocked out in one of the greatest comebacks I have ever seen.

Melvin Guillard, a promising lightweight who was also fighting stopped by the workouts. He will have a tough fight next as he called out Jeremy Stephens after winning his fight.

Ryan Bader and a few of the other Arizona boys came by as well. He was a cool guy.

We also saw Clay Guida walking in the hall on his way to check in. He was in a bit of a rush but I grabbed an autograph from him and Jordan was able to snag a picture.

Finally we saw former featherweight champion Urijah Faber. He is always a great guy to talk to.

Jordan and I then headed to a signing that was being held at the Las Vegas Fight Shop in the Luxor. The Luxor was attached to the hotel we were staying at so it only made sense to hit up the signing on the way back to the hotel.

Walking around the Luxor while we were waiting in line were Jon "Bones" Jones, an up and coming fighter who might one day be champion, and Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields.

At the fight shop was Josh Koscheck. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of his. I guess he had another place to be as he was hurrying through signing posters so that he could leave early. I was lucky to grab a photo and autograph from him.

Also at the signing was Cain Velasquez who I had met a few times before. I didn't have anything for him to sign. Lastly was Ultimate Fighter 11's Jamie Yager. This guy looks tough.... right up until the first episode after we got back when he quit his fight. He will be back in the UFC though. Plus he looks like Sideshow Bob.
That ended a Thursday of meeting fighters. I got around 17 photos signed that day and the expo was still to come. Stay tuned for new blogs about the Friday and Saturday of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment