Monday, February 15, 2010

First Blog....Recap Time (1 of 2)

My first blog entry!! I got this idea from a gentleman who lives in South-West Ontario. Living close to the GTA provides him with many more opportunities to meet celebrities than here in Ottawa. I was reading his blog and thought that people too might be interested in the celebrities and autographs that I add to my collection.

I must first start by saying that I am purely a collector. I see regulars who always seem to get as many things signed as they can, as often as they can, and then they turn around and sell those items on e-bay. I don't judge them for doing this, I mean, my collection is probably worth a small fortune also. The problem I do have with them is they make it difficult for the Average Joe to get an autograph from a big name athlete or famous celebrity. Celebrities have the impression that anyone who asks them for an autograph will then turn around and sell the item for a large profit. I guess that is the nature of autograph collecting.

My first blog might be a bit longer than the ones that I will post in the future, but I wanted to give a very brief recap of the celebrities that I have met and some of the autographs that I have already collected.
Hockey
I have met a few big name athletes over the years. My collection of photographs and athletes include the following:

Patrick Roy
Very approachable. I have met him a few times over the past two seasons. I have two jerseys signed (one Montreal and one Colorado) and a few pictures. You can never have enough Roy autographs in your collection.

Doug Gilmour
One of the nicest guys. Always willing to sign but will avoid a big crowd if he can. I have a Calgary Flames jersey of his signed as well as a few pictures.


Dion Phaneuf
This one was in Ottawa at the Redbull Flugtag event. He was one of the celebrity judges. I wish I collected autographs at the time.

There are a ton of other hockey players that I have met. I will do a few throwback posts to show more pictures during a slow time.
MMA
Of all of the celebrities that I have met, I would say that the majority are MMA fighters and personalities. I have attended four UFC pay-per-views including UFC 100. This event was held at the same time as the first UFC fan expo. There I was able to get pictures and autographs from many, many fighters. Here are just a few:
Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
A UFC hall of famer and one tough SOB. He doesn't like to sign a ton of autographs for the same reason that explained at the start of this blog. Unfortunately, I don't have his autograph yet.
Tito Ortiz
The Huntington Beach Badboy. One of my favourite MMA fighters, but one huge mellon on the guy.

Michael "The Count" Bisping
My favourite fighter. I met him at UFC 100 before he got knocked out by Dan Henderson.
Dana White
UFC president and a great guy. Very straight-forward and shows great appreciation to the fans of the UFC.

1 comment: